Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Alberta Excursion

Part 4
Columbia Icefield Mountains at Sunrise

For what human ill does not dawn seem to be an alleviation? - Thornton Wilder

Another early morning.  I left for the famous Columbia Icefield, something National Geographic says is a "must see", around 6:30am.  I stopped about two-thirds of the way there to capture what I thought would be a decent sunrise photo. 

A glitter of sunlight on mountain.

While shooting the above photo in ZERO degrees my cable release started to stiffen 
up and frost started creeping over my camera. I wasn't very cold but my camera 
sure told me it was.

I made it to the Icefield around eight am. The thing was massive and supposedly even
large 100 years ago. They claim global warming due to man has made it recede. 
I don't know about that (only the deity knows).

Where it was in 1992





Jet streak over the mountains

Sunrise blowout

No comments: