Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Alberta Excursion

 a short jaunt along a canadian highway 
Part 1
All Photos Copyright Jefferson L. Morriss 2009

I finally took a little vacation. My friend Beth from Australia, along with her boyfriend Stu were up in Jasper, Alberta working at a hotel and I knew this was a good excuse to see them and shoot some photos.  As I shot quite a bit of photos(and video, coming later) I will be doing a multiple posts.  

I left Bellingham at the wee hour of 4am. Eight hours later and a lot of mountains, I arrived in Alberta.  I skipped staying at a fancy hotel and opted for a more homey option, a B&B.   I was met by a very nice lady  and settled in. 


Compliments of the B&B

Money, Money, Money! 

Friday Morning: I woke up at 5:30am to catch the sunrise at Mount Edith Cavell.  Upon arriving I found the road CLOSED.  I sat in my car with the motor idling and the running lights on contemplating what to do.   The sign said 14km and at the time I had no idea what that meant in miles but I figured four, maybe five miles. Wrong. Try eight.  I set out in the dark along a snow covered road with the only sound that of my very uncomfortable boots crunching against compact snow.   I walked a very painful four miles in my boots  and then turned around.
   

Below are few photos I was able to get along that hike. 


Mount Edith Cavell with a little mushroom cloud atop it.

Sunrise light on Mount Edith Cavell 

Below is Pyramid Mountain, a short 10 min drive from my place

Pyramid Mountain 

No comments: