Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Alberta Excursion

Part Deux

A friend of mine told me about this thing called the Maligne Canyon Ice Walk so I decided to check it out.   I ended up with a group of 10 or so including my friends.  We strapped on some boots with cleats and started walking on the frozen canyon floor of previously rushing water.  I got a step ahead of our guide and crunch,crack, my  boot goes through the ice...well the top layer of it.   "I bet that scared you, didn't it?" Chuck the tour guide remarked. Yeah.   It was only about a foot deep and he knew the whole time of course but I didn't.   

This is where my foot broke though.

As I walked though carved out limestone from the last million years and looked up at the trees towering above as though they where watching over the canyon; I couldn't help but think of all the seasons they've seen and the people coming and going.    

 






No comments: